Senior Visual Designer, Design Systems // Intercom
Communication has changed for people. It’s changed for businesses, too.
Intercom is the only suite of customer messaging products that drives growth at every stage of the customer lifecycle—across acquisition, engagement, and support. Today more than 25,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide.
Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through live chat, and so much more.
What’s the opportunity? 🤔
We’re looking for a talented and experienced Senior Visual Designer to take ownership of our Design Systems and help uplevel the visual quality of our product.
This role is a unique opportunity as it is the first role giving someone holistic ownership of our product’s visual design. You’ll be responsible for creating, maintaining and improving the foundational patterns, UI components, tools, and documentation that empowers Intercom’s strategic design vision. You will also collaborate with engineers, product and brand designers across all of Intercom and directly contribute to making our product more delightful and visually pleasing. All together, you’ll have the opportunity to do the best work of your career at a highly admired product-driven company that’s driving real change in the industry.
We’ve had Designers in key leadership roles, including at the exec level, from the very beginning. This has made Design a core foundation of our company’s DNA. This means that you’ll never have to justify the importance of Design. We genuinely care about people and value kindness in our everyday interactions. You’ll be able to be yourself, feel valued, supported, learn and grow no matter how experienced you are.
If you want to learn more about what it’s like to work here, check out intercom.design, read what makes us different, and listen to a podcast with our co-founder, Des and CEO, Karen. If you’re passionate about the craft and process of building world-class products and working with great people, you’ll fit right in. By the way, imposter syndrome is a real thing, don’t let it stop you and please apply!
What will I be doing? 🚀
- Act as a leader within the Product Design team, collaborating with other designers to make their work and the whole team better
- Set new standards for visual craft and execution across our product
- Design new system components, working closely with product teams to ensure they meet their needs.
- Sketch and prototype ideas to quickly access viability, and design the fine grained details of interactions
- Iterate based on feedback from the whole team and users.
- Work closely with engineers as they build and ship ideas
- Own the success or failure of their design work and initiate design and engineering sprints to improve shipped work
- Advocate for the design system throughout the company, representing the team in product discussions and educating others on how to use the system.
- Write about, present, and share what they have learned, both internally and with the wider community via our blog, books, and events
What skills do I need? 📖
- The ability to produce cutting edge visual design work. Mastery of the fundamentals of color, spacing and typography
- Excellent attention to detail when creating design mockups and assets
- Experience working directly with and contributing to design systems including component design, documentation, and education.
- Experience designing digital products and systems, not just websites. You have helped ship products
- Knowledge of technical constraints and guidelines as they apply to designing for digital platforms, including web, iOS and Android.
- Awareness of inclusive design principles and best practices.
- Advanced knowledge of Figma’s design tool
- The ability to create prototypes using Framer, Keynote, HTML/CSS/JS, etc
- Ability to work with front end engineering teams for web and mobile user interfaces, including participating in code reviews.
- Excellent communicator of design work and your rationale behind proposals
- Excellent self-starter who can plan and manage their own work, cross borders and break down silos between disciplines, empowering designers and engineers to work quickly with high standards for quality and consistency.
We’re looking for a portfolio that clearly outlines the process you applied to tackling the challenges, rather than focusing just on visuals and landing pages. Your portfolio should be well structured and clear. Your experience should ideally focus on designing software products.
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! 🙂
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve lunch every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews – we reward great work!
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We’re committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.