Senior Product Researcher // Intercom
Intercom is an AI powered, automation-first customer service platform that lets businesses deliver fast support, keeping customers satisfied, costs low, and service teams happy.
It is the only complete customer service solution that provides a seamless customer experience across automation and human support. Customer service teams from more than 25,000 global organizations, including Atlassian, Amazon and Microsoft, use Intercom to send over 600 million messages per month and enable interactions with over 800 million monthly active end users. The company was founded in 2011 and is backed by leading venture capitalist including Bessemer Venture Partners, Kleiner Perkins and Social Capital. We live by our six company values everyday: Success First, Customer Obsessed, Incredibly High Standards, Open Mindedness, Resilience, Impatience, and Positive & Optimistic. They are stitched into the way we work, interact with others, and hold ourselves accountable. We’re eager to hire individuals who are passionate about our mission, deeply aligned with our values, and are excited to help shape the future of customer service.
What’s the opportunity? 🤔
The Research, Analytics & Data Science (RAD!) team at Intercom exists to build, enable and share a deep holistic understanding of our customers, their needs, and their product behaviours, using research and data science.
As a team of data scientists and product researchers, our mission is to drive effective evidence-based decisions through research and data science. We use data — both big and small — to unlock actionable insights about our customers, our products and our business. Our holistic understanding of our customers, their needs and their product behaviours is ingrained and used across the whole company to drive tangible improvements for our customers.
Team RAD works on the most impactful initiatives that meaningfully move the needle for our products, customers and business. It’s your job to own and drive research projects from start to finish and drive impact by combining quant and qual data in compelling ways. We are open to candidates at the mid or senior level for this role.
What will I be doing? 🚀
In this role you will:
- Play a key part in the product development process by helping the team to understand the opportunities, contexts, audience and experiences.
- Experiment with processes, methodologies and ways of working to provide product teams with critical insights as quickly as possible.
- Define a good problem & process fit. Never settle for ‘nice to know’ questions and instead push to learn the ‘critical to know’ questions.
- Be a strategic and trusted partner to leaders and teams across Intercom whilst empowering and challenging our partners to think differently.
- Thoughtfully explore new ways to combine quantitative and qualitative methods to drive impact. Be creative about how to recruit the specifics that our customers are looking for.
- Hold 1:1 interviews and sessions with customers and communicate work with creativity and conviction.
- Design, implement, and analyze surveys with customers and prospects to understand their relationship to our product.
- Focus on priorities that either drive tangible decisions for the business or help our team and our foundations scale.
- Collaborating with PM’s, Designers, R&D team, Biz Ops, and Marketing to define research problems and work on solutions.
- Communicate the meaning and consequence of insights in a succinct and engaging way that ensures all involved are aware of the research approach, objective
What skills do I need? 📖
Ideal Candidates Have The Following:
- 4 years + working as a user experience researcher on digital products.
- Experience driving research by identifying and acting on opportunities to improve how we work.
- Expertise in conducting end-to-end user research studies; planning, recruitment, execution, analysis and delivery.
- An in-depth understanding of the product areas you work on and the key dynamics of the competitive space.
- Experience offering ideas or opinions on roadmap planning in order to deliver meaningful impact to customers and the business.
- An expert’s understanding of rigour and methodological validity in research and how to get the most out of a project with tight constraints.
- Experience leading by driving debate, calling out inconsistencies and contributing ideas and energy to problems that a team are facing.
- The ability to articulate the learnings and consequences of the research insights you provide.
- An understanding of the Jobs to Be Done framework is preferred.
- A passion for building amazing products, not just conducting research.
We are a well-treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! 🙂
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve lunch every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews – we reward great work!
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
Intercom has a hybrid working policy. We believe that working in person helps us stay connected, collaborate easier and create a great culture while still providing flexibility to work from home. We expect employees to be in the office at least two days per week.
Intercom values diversity and is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. Intercom will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, age, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.
Is this role not quite what you’re looking for? Join our Talent Community to stay connected with us.