Senior Growth Product Designer // Intercom
Intercom is an AI powered, automation-first customer service platform that lets businesses deliver fast support, keeping customers satisfied, costs low, and service teams happy.
It is the only complete customer service solution that provides a seamless customer experience across automation and human support. Customer service teams from more than 25,000 global organizations, including Atlassian, Amazon and Microsoft, use Intercom to send over 600 million messages per month and enable interactions with over 800 million monthly active end users. The company was founded in 2011 and is backed by leading venture capitalist including Bessemer Venture Partners, Kleiner Perkins and Social Capital.
What’s the opportunity? 🤔
As a valued member of the Growth Group you’ll be responsible for both the prospective customer and early user journey. You’ll help to drive product awareness, evaluation, adoption and activation – both in the product and by partnering closely with go-to-market teams. Playing a key part in defining how Intercom achieves its growth goals.
You will do meaningful product design work at a highly admired product-driven company that’s driving real change in the industry.
Each product designer at Intercom works in a team with a product manager, up to 6 engineers, and research and analytics. Together they own a part of Intercom, ship solutions to challenging problems and get feedback directly from customers.
You’ll work alongside the 5 other designers in the Growth Group, reporting directly to the Growth Group Design Manager. Your specific focus will be on our activation team, building the first-use experience for new prospects signing up to Intercom.
We’ve had designers in key leadership roles, including at the exec level, from the very beginning. This has made design a core foundation of our company’s DNA. This means that you’ll never have to justify the importance of design.
We genuinely care about people and value kindness in our everyday interactions. You’ll be able to be yourself, feel valued, supported, learn and grow no matter how experienced you are.
What will I be doing? 🚀
- You’ll be a key member of the Growth Design Team, collaborating with other designers to make their work and the whole team better
- Work through design problems from beginning to end.
- Work closely with many teams across the business to help shape our activation strategy and to bring a user centric approach to implementing this for different customer segments.
- Partnering with designers on other R&D teams to create holistic experiences that span the full customer lifecycle.
- Sketch and prototype ideas to quickly access viability, and design the fine grained details of interactions
- Iterate based on feedback from the whole team, and on results of your team’s experiments.
- Work closely with engineers as they build and ship ideas.
- Own the success or failure of their design work and initiate design and engineering sprints to improve shipped work
- Write about, present, and share what they have learned, both internally and with the wider community via our blog, books, and events
What skills and experience do I need? 📖
- Experience working on a product-led growth design team or growth-oriented projects.
- Experience designing digital products and systems, not just websites. You have helped ship products.
- A strong system and/or service design mentality. Understanding the broader landscape of the product and the impacts of the work you are doing is vital for success.
- Experience designing experiences that people can access on any type of device: desktop, tablet, phone.
- An appreciation of the entire product development process, from problem solving through to detailed UI and visual design.
- The ability to create beautiful high-fidelity mockups of your designs using Figma, etc.
- The ability to create prototypes using Figma, Framer, HTML/CSS/JS, etc.
- The ability to coordinate work across multiple teams and bring together ideas from various stakeholder groups.
- The ability to successfully and adeptly move from 10kft thinking to 10ft execution.
- Excellent communicator of design work and your rationale behind proposals.
- Excellent self starter who can deeply collaborate with engineers
We’re looking for a portfolio that clearly outlines the problems you were tackling with your design work. It should center on the process you applied and the business impact you were able to deliver. We’re looking to see your design thinking and business awareness, not just your ability to craft beautiful visuals. Your portfolio should be well structured and clear. Your experience should ideally focus on designing software products. Bonus points if you have examples of product-led growth projects.
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! 🙂
Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
We serve lunch every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
Regular compensation reviews – we reward great work!
Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too
MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We’re committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.
Intercom values diversity and is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. Intercom will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, age, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law. Intercom is currently able to hire if an employee has a permanent residence in the following locations; Australia, Ireland, England and applicable US states. (California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York, North Carolina, Texas, and Washington).
Is this role not quite what you’re looking for? Join our Talent Community to stay connected with us.