Senior Analytics Engineer // Intercom
Intercom is an AI powered, automation-first customer service platform that lets businesses deliver fast support, keeping customers satisfied, costs low, and service teams happy.
It is the only complete customer service solution that provides a seamless customer experience across automation and human support. Customer service teams from more than 25,000 global organizations, including Atlassian, Amazon and Microsoft, use Intercom to send over 600 million messages per month and enable interactions with over 800 million monthly active end users. The company was founded in 2011 and is backed by leading venture capitalist including Bessemer Venture Partners, Kleiner Perkins and Social Capital.
What’s the opportunity? 🤔
The Data team builds distributed systems and tools supporting Intercom by empowering people with information. As the company grows, so does the volume and velocity of our data along with the appetite for increasingly sophisticated and specialized data solutions.
Our team builds, maintains, evolves, and extends the data platform, enabling our partners to self-serve by creating their own end-to-end data workflows, from ingestion through transforming data and evaluating experiments to analyzing usage and running predictive models. We provide the data foundation to support many highly impactful business and product-focused projects.
We’re looking for a Senior Analytics Engineer to join us and collaborate on data-related initiatives, who is passionate about making quality data available for our stakeholders.
What will I be doing? 🚀
- Develop, run and support our batch and real-time data pipelines processing petabyte-scale data on a daily basis using tools like Airflow, Kinesis, Snowflake, Tableau and Superset, all in AWS.
- Get to work in an environment where multiple different programming languages are used. Python and SQL are our main languages, but we also regularly use shell scripts and Terraform to maintain our own CI/CD pipeline and the underlying infra.
- Collaborate with product managers, go-to-market teams as well as analysts and data scientists to build automation and tooling to support their needs in an environment where dozens of changes can be shipped daily. This includes a lot of quality-of-life tooling to automate away daily toil to help everyone focus on high value added tasks. Custom integrations between various services (Github, DataDog, Slack..) are a big part of this.
- Implement systems to monitor what we have built, to detect and surface both bottlenecks and problems with the infra and data quality issues.
- Help evolving the Data Platform by contributing to the design and implementation of the next generation of the stack, both from infrastructure and from data modeling point of view.
Recent projects the team has delivered:
- Redshift to Snowflake migration
- New analytics stacks in AU and EU, including cross-regional pipelines
- Switch to DBT from in-house transformations framework
What skills do I need? 📖
- You have 6+ years of full-time, professional work experience using a modern programming language on a daily basis. Strong preference for Python
- Experience or understanding of tools and technologies that are in our stack, such as Snowflake, DBT
- You have a very strong understanding of SQL, and experience or interest in data modeling, warehouse design or backend systems.
- You have some experience with or are interested in building and running data pipelines for large and complex datasets, including handling dependencies.
- Worked with Apache Airflow – we use Airflow extensively to orchestrate and schedule all of our data workflows. A good understanding of the quirks of operating Airflow at scale would be helpful.
- You have some hands-on cloud provider experience (preferably AWS).
- You are aware of the importance of data security and are passionate about privacy.
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! 🙂
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve lunch every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews – we reward great work
- Pension scheme & match up to 4%
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
Intercom values diversity and is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. Intercom will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, age, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law. Intercom is currently able to hire if an employee has a permanent residence in the following locations; Australia, Ireland, England and applicable US states. (California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York, North Carolina, Texas, and Washington).
Is this role not quite what you’re looking for? Join our Talent Community to stay connected with us.