Data Scientist // Intercom
Intercom is an AI powered, automation-first customer service platform that lets businesses deliver fast support, keeping customers satisfied, costs low, and service teams happy.
It is the only complete customer service solution that provides a seamless customer experience across automation and human support. Customer service teams from more than 25,000 global organizations, including Atlassian, Amazon and Microsoft, use Intercom to send over 600 million messages per month and enable interactions with over 800 million monthly active end users. The company was founded in 2011 and is backed by leading venture capitalist including Bessemer Venture Partners, Kleiner Perkins and Social Capital. We live by our six company values everyday: Success First, Customer Obsessed, Incredibly High Standards, Open Mindedness, Resilience, Impatience, and Positive & Optimistic. They are stitched into the way we work, interact with others, and hold ourselves accountable. We’re eager to hire individuals who are passionate about our mission, deeply aligned with our values, and are excited to help shape the future of customer service.
What’s the opportunity? 🤔
The Research, Analytics & Data Science (RAD) team at Intercom use data and insights to drive evidence based decision-making. We’re a team of data scientists and product researchers who use data — both big and small — to unlock actionable insights about our customers, our products and our business. We generate insights that build customer empathy, drive product strategy and shape products that deliver real value to our customers. If you get really excited about asking the right questions, exploring patterns in data and surfacing actionable insights that drive strategic decisions, then this role is for you.
Data Scientists in RAD partner with teams across R&D to help Intercom make sense of our users, our products and our business, using metrics and data. This role will enable you to drive key data projects that directly impact our customers and millions of end users who communicate via our messaging platform daily.
What will I be doing? 🚀
- You’ll partner with product teams to help them identify important questions and answer those questions with data
- You’ll work closely with product managers, designers and engineers to develop key product success metrics, to set targets, to measure results and outcomes, and to size opportunities
- You’ll design, build and update end-to-end data pipelines, working closely with stakeholders to drive the collection of new data and the refinement of existing data sources and tables.
- You’ll partner closely with product researchers to build a holistic understanding of our customers, our products and our business.
- You’ll influence our product roadmap and product strategy through experimentation, exploratory analysis and quantitative research
- You’ll build and automate actionable models and dashboards
- You’ll craft data stories and share your findings and recommendations across R&D and the broader company
- You’ll drive and shape core RAD foundations and help us improve how the RAD org operates
What skills do I need? 📖
- 3 + years experience working with data to solve problems and drive evidence-based decisions
- Excellent SQL skills and good knowledge of statistics
- Proven track record of initiating and delivering actionable analysis and insights that drives tangible impact with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication skills (technical and non-technical) and a focus on driving impact
- Strong growth mindset and sense of ownership. Innate passion and curiosity
Bonus skills & attributes 🙌
- Experience with a scientific computing language (such as R or Python)
- Experience with BI/Visualization tools like Tableau, Superset and Looker
- Experience with data modeling and ETL pipelines
- Experience working with product teams
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! 🙂
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve lunch every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews – we reward great work
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
Intercom has a hybrid working policy. We believe that working in person helps us stay connected, collaborate easier and create a great culture while still providing flexibility to work from home. We expect employees to be in the office at least two days per week.
Intercom values diversity and is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. Intercom will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, age, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.
Is this role not quite what you’re looking for? Join our Talent Community to stay connected with us.