Software Engineer (Backend) // Zoopla
Let’s be honest, not much interesting has happened in the property tech industry in the last 10 years. A decade ago, people looking for a place to live used search criteria like number of rooms, price range and postcode, and while that was novel at the time, the experience of finding a home has evolved very little since then.
That is about to change.
At Zoopla we want to help everyone make intelligent home buying decisions. We are building a team that will have the once in a career opportunity to re-imagine an industry.
We’re not ashamed to admit we have many unfair advantages:
- We have an incredibly strong, beloved, and well known brand with 92% awareness in the UK.
- We have the backing of Silver Lake Partners, one of the global technology industry’s most innovative and successful technology investors.
- We have a new senior management team with decades of experience coming from industry-leading companies like Amazon, Dyson, Expedia, Experian, Skype, Ebay, Microsoft, Hometrack and others.
- We have stunning offices on the Thames just a short, five minute walk from London Bridge.
- We have amazing benefits for our employees and for our community.
- And we have Seb, our resident barista who will keep you caffeinated and fed!
All that is missing is you.
A little about us:
- We’re serious about tech but we don’t take ourselves too seriously.
- We are spiritually agile, not religiously agile.
- We strongly believe in the value of good design. We believe it is a primary differentiator in an increasingly crowded marketplace.
- We believe in the value of data. We run a team that is data-informed. We think being data-driven is soulless and dangerous. Clean, confident, clear data combined with the insights of the team is what drives our decisions.
- We want to build small, collaborative, cross-functional teams that push each other to create elegant, simple solutions to difficult customer problems.
- No matter what the role we want everyone to be obsessed with getting inside the minds of our customers.
You’re a fit for our team if…
- You strive to set the standard and are always looking to raise the bar and want to be surrounded by others who do so as well
- You’re obsessed with knowing your customer
- You want to build things together, collaboratively with your team
- You want to own it; To have ownership and accountability for the outcomes of your effort
- You have strong, well-informed opinions but are open to being convinced otherwise through thoughtful discussion and debates with your teammates
- You have a bias towards action
- And if you want to come help us re-imagine an industry
Specifically for our engineering roles:
- You regularly practice honing your engineering craft, expanding your skills in techniques such as TDD, refactoring, clean code and pair programming.
- You will ideally be familiar with AWS, although it’s useful if you have some knowledge of other cloud services, too.
- You appreciate the benefits of CI pipelines and automation for both quality and deployment.
- You understand the importance of delighting users with your product while making sure it remains stable, performant, observable and supportable.
- 25 days’ holiday + Bank Holidays (can buy or carry over 5 days)
- Private health and dental
- Gym on site in London – or membership in regional offices
- Interest free loans for season ticket, help to buy or improve your home, getting married
- Up to 7.5% pension contribution by the company
- Free breakfast and afternoon snacks
- Friday night drinks
- Discretionary annual bonus up to 10% of base salary
- Birthday day off, move house day off, charity day off
- Training and development
- Referral bonus up to £5k
- In house massage/nail treatments