Senior Software Engineer (Backend) // Zoopla
Let’s be honest, not much interesting has happened in the property tech industry in the last 10 years. A decade ago, people looking for a place to live used search criteria like number of rooms, price range and postcode, and while that was novel at the time, the experience of finding a home has evolved very little since then.
That is about to change.
At Zoopla we want to help everyone make intelligent home buying decisions. We are building a team that will have the once in a career opportunity to re-imagine an industry.
We’re not ashamed to admit we have many unfair advantages:
- We have an incredibly strong, beloved, and well known brand with 92% awareness in the UK.
- We have the backing of Silver Lake Partners, one of the global technology industry’s most innovative and successful technology investors.
- We have a new senior management team with decades of experience coming from industry-leading companies like Amazon, Dyson, Expedia, Experian, Skype, Ebay, Microsoft, Hometrack and others.
- We have stunning offices on the Thames just a short, five minute walk from London Bridge.
- We have amazing benefits for our employees and for our community.
- And we have Seb, our resident barista who will keep you caffeinated and fed!
All that is missing is you.
A little about us:
- We’re serious about tech but we don’t take ourselves too seriously.
- We are spiritually agile, not religiously agile.
- We strongly believe in the value of good design. We believe it is a primary differentiator in an increasingly crowded marketplace.
- We believe in the value of data. We run a team that is data-informed. We think being data-driven is soulless and dangerous. Clean, confident, clear data combined with the insights of the team is what drives our decisions.
- We want to build small, collaborative, cross-functional teams that push each other to create elegant, simple solutions to difficult customer problems.
- No matter what the role we want everyone to be obsessed with getting inside the minds of our customers.
You’re a fit for our team if…
- You strive to set the standard and are always looking to raise the bar and want to be surrounded by others who do so as well
- You’re obsessed with knowing your customer
- You want to build things together, collaboratively with your team
- You want to own it; To have ownership and accountability for the outcomes of your effort
- You have strong, well-informed opinions but are open to being convinced otherwise through thoughtful discussion and debates with your teammates
- You have a bias towards action
- And if you want to come help us re-imagine an industry
Specifically for our engineering roles:
- You will ideally know AWS as well as you know your best friend, although it’s great if you’re good friends with other cloud services, too.
- You will have diligently practiced your engineering craft, mastering your skills in techniques such as TDD, refactoring, clean code and pair programming.
- You will have implemented CI pipelines and automation, and championed the quality and deployment benefits of both to others.
- The product(s) you’ve built will have delighted users (perhaps millions of them!) while being stable, performant, observable and supportable.
- If you’ve played a role in designing and implementing new architectures and technical strategies, while also looking after existing technology real-estate, you’ll fit in great.
- Importantly, if you’re looking for a senior role with us, you will have achieved many of the things above while also teaching others, influencing your team and organisation, and maybe even sharing your journey and knowledge publicly.
- 25 days holiday + BH
- Private health and dental
- Gym on site in London – or membership in regional offices
- Up to 7.5% pension contribution by the company
- Free breakfast and afternoon snacks
- Friday night drinks
- Discretionary annual bonus up to 10% of base salary
- Birthday day off, move house day off
- Training and development
- Referral bonus up to £5K
- In house massage/nail treatments
Check out a full list of our benefits and perks here