Senior Data Scientist // Culture Trip
December 19, 2019
Culture Trip is a global hyper-growth startup operating in travel, media and entertainment. We create stories that reveal what is unique and special about a place, its people and its culture. In-house creative teams work with a global network of more than 300 freelance creators to produce articles, videos, photography, illustration and animation.
From just a dozen people in late 2016, the team has expanded to more than 250. This diverse group of software engineers, product designers, data scientists, editorial experts and content creators are spread across offices in London, New York City and Tel Aviv. Alumni of companies including Google, Facebook, Expedia, Lonely Planet, Spotify, Bloomberg, Viacom, TripAdvisor and the BBC have joined recently. A recent Series B funding injection from PPF Group of $80 million has further propelled rapid growth. Monthly unique visitors to the site have gone from 4 million to nearly 20 million, cross-platform social followers have increased from 1 million to 7 million, and app downloads have leapt from 50,000 to 2 million. Culture Trip videos have been viewed more than 2 billion times. Culture Trip, founded by Dr Kris Naudts, has been named by Forbes as one of the fastest-growing companies to watch.
Everyone working at Culture Trip is driven by a shared vision: to inspire people to go beyond their cultural boundaries and connect with the world around them. We want to bring the world to everyone and in doing so bring everyone closer together.
We are looking for an outstanding, hands-on Senior Data Scientist, adept at not only understanding and interpreting data, but also building models and influencing change in the organisation. You should have a proven record of working with large amounts of data, leading the development of technical solutions and building production-ready machine learning models. You should be a self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit, able to think outside the box and take initiative. You should have a natural affinity for numbers and be a confident communicator. Above all, you should be smart, passionate and dedicated to building a great business.
- Lead the development of technical solutions, making use of large amounts of data and the technologies to develop the right solution for a business problem
- Responsible for the building and deployment production-ready machine learning models – including: testing, documentation, maintenance and tracking their performance
- Engage with key stakeholders to understand business requirements, scope technical specifications and communicate complex ideas in an accessible manner
- Responsible for the continued improvement and development of best practice within data science, including tools, methodologies and capabilities
- Identify opportunities in the company to help the development of the product roadmap through data science
- Effectively manage your time, including the planning and management of project tasks and plan resources to finish projects in a timely manner
- Mentor and collaborate with other members of the Data team
- Learn new technologies that align with your own and the company’s interest
- Represent Culture Trip at events and conferences
- Pet office dogs (or you can just nod at them)
Desired Skills & Experience:
- You should have either an MSc or PhD degree in Statistics, Math, Physics, Engineering, or a similar, relevant subject and at least 3 years experience in a similar Data Scientist role
- You must be highly proficient in Python, its libraries and have experience working with AWS
- You must have experience in a technical leadership capacity, mentoring more junior data scientists and leading technical development
- You must understand and should have used Machine Learning algorithms in production (Regression algorithms, Random Forest, SVMs, Gradient Boosting algorithms, etc)
- You must have experience with at least one of the following: Deep Learning, NLP and/or Reinforcement Learning
- You should have experience with version control and automatic testing of code
- You should be a confident communicator, capable of building strong stakeholder relationships and be able to spot opportunities to improve processes and contribute to data science at Culture Trip
- Ability to tackle complex questions in a pragmatic way, lead the conversation on data science and tactfully challenge solutions where appropriate.
Culture Trip is committed to equality of opportunity for all. We strongly believe that diversity of backgrounds, ethnicities, experience, circumstances, abilities and perspectives leads to a better workplace for our employees and a better product for our users.
Visit the company websiteCulture Trip