Senior Android Engineer // Onfido
We’re looking for an experienced Android Engineer for our London or Lisbon office to help us evolve current Android products and create new ones! You’ll join a talented and friendly team which loves to delight its customers with quality and robust code. We care about user and developer experience and we work in an agile way to regularly ship code to production.
Who is Onfido?
We’re creating a more open world, where identity is the key to access.
We are the new identity standard for the internet. Our AI-based technology assesses whether a user’s government-issued ID is genuine or fraudulent, and then compares it against their facial biometrics. That’s how we give companies like Revolut, Barclays, Babylon Health, BlaBlaCar the assurance they need to onboard customers remotely and securely.
The Technology Team
We are over 100 strong technologists at Onfido. We range from machine learning scientists, to product designers, mobile, back-end, front-end and test engineers. The challenges are varied and it’s easy to stay hungry as opportunities are plenty. Tech teams are cross functional which gives them a great degree of independence.
As a Mobile Engineer you will have the chance to work on different mobile products which are owned by different teams. The teams with mobile functions are the following:
They work on the Onfido SDKs which provide a rich set of functionality with the aim to deliver a ready to integrate, highly customizable, accessible user flow. Which focuses on guiding the end-user to get the best photos and videos of themselves and their documents. All done with the purpose of verifying their identity. Companies using it range from Revolut to Barclays, Couchsurfing and Babylon Health. You can find the documentation at Github onfido-android-sdk.
Due to its very nature, we also develop security mechanisms that ensure both the safety of very sensitive user data, but also the integrity of the results, by ensuring that fraudsters are not able to fool us about the source of the data.
Another big challenge of developing SDKs for third parties is the complexity of interoperability. Every App is built differently, considering that our code sits right inside our customer’s app, we have to ensure that we are compatible in many ways. You can see this video to learn more – Painless Android libraries.
Customer Acquisition & Experience
Working mostly with React Native in the mobile world, this team focuses on delivering great experiences to our business customers. From the first point customers make contact, all the way to trialing our service, managing their live users data and billing.
You can try their Onfido App, which showcases the SDKs from the App Store and the Play Store.
This team is starting up and will be focused on leveraging our current capabilities and yet delivering something very different – a reusable online identity that people own. The short term goal will be to find and develop a market for it. This will involve early day designing, prototyping, field testing and some hustle. If you like greenfield projects, this is one is for you.
Your role will be:
- Work closely with product designers, product managers and other engineers to deliver great experiences to our customers and their users
- Prototype and iterate until the solutions are impactful and well polished.
- Tweak and evolve our processes. You can always help the team release faster and safer.
- Guide other Engineers in managing debt, planning refactors and improve our tooling.
For a further look at what we have been working on, take a look at our mobile blog!
Our wish list is a combination of…
- Great understanding of object-oriented programming and API design
- Good knowledge of the Android SDK
- Experience with architectures commonly used in mobile (MVP/MVVM/MVI)
- Experience working on projects supporting multiple devices
- Up-to-date with the latest Android features
…plus for bonus points:
- Experience with Dagger, Kotlin (95% of our code) and RxJava (or similar)
- Experience developing Android libraries
- Experience with the Camera API
- Good testing skills with Espresso and Mockito
- Knowledge of building CI/CD pipeline
- Competitive salary + Share options
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays
- Pension with The People’s Pension (we match up to 4% of your salary)
- Bupa Health Cash Plan (Level 2) + Sanctus mental health coaching
- Gym or home cleaning (up to £50 per month)
- Childcare vouchers
- Charity: Payroll Giving + Paid volunteering days
- Free yoga classes, football bookings
- Social: Clubs; Weekly get together; Quarterly socials
- Budget for software or books you may need
- Free languages classes (Spanish, French and English)
- A fully stocked kitchen with daily breakfast, drinks, snacks and fresh fruit
- Succeed Together – Achieve collective impact by being generous with your time, care and expertise.
- Take Pride – We should be proud of every piece of code, every piece of content, every interaction with a customer or user.
- Learn Things, Share Them – Be a voracious learner, we’ll help you. When you have done it, use your time and plough it back into the community.
- Find A Better Way – Fix what’s broken and make what works even better.
- Customer Buzz – Get customers excited about what we do.
Apply! We’ll then assess and start the process, which is the following steps:
- Initial phone call with recruiter + engineer
- Take-home test
- On-site interview
At Onfido we don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.