Lead Data & Analytics Engineer // Gousto
At Gousto, we’re looking for someone to help us disrupt the online food industry. You will be helping people to discover, buy and cook delicious food at home without the hassle of recipe books and supermarkets, all with no food waste. We’ve grown rapidly since our founding in 2012 and following another large VC investment we’re now scaling to a large tech organisation.
Technology, Data and AI are at the heart of Gousto. The code we write powers every aspect of our business from the recommendation engine powering our e-commerce experience right down to the genetic algorithms used to efficiently route boxes in our warehouse.
We invested into our data infrastructure early on in our journey. This is built using Airflow, Snowplow, Kinesis, Athena etc. and is the backbone to many data products – from ML algorithms to self-serve reporting. Now we are looking for an experienced data engineer with a proven track record in building and scaling data engineering teams, who will help us to continue evolving our data & analytics capabilities to propel the business as we continue to grow rapidly.
You’ll lead a team of Data & Analytics Engineers and work closely with our Director of Data to help shape our data architecture and self-serve analytics capabilities. You will partner up with other teams across the business to understand their needs and empower them through providing the right data in the right structure to make the most out of it. If you’re a natural problem solver and are passionate about data, you’ll fit right in.
Join us and let’s dream big and deliver bigger.
Give it some Gousto.
What Will Keep You Busy
- Building a world class data engineering team – Although we invested in our data capabilities early on in our journey, we are still at the beginning of building a world class Data & Analytics Engineering team. We are looking to significantly invest in data engineering talent going forwards – helping to build a truly great team of data engineers will be a big part of what you do.
- Own and improve our data infrastructure – Data is used at all levels of our business to make key decisions. It also powers numerous algorithms that form a crucial part of our business across our fulfillment centre, procurement, marketing and our digital products. Therefore, it is very important to ensure scalability and resiliency of our data pipelines. We are also striving to keep improving it as we grow, so a big part of this role will be investigating the next-generation data processing & analytics technologies. We are 100% committed to provide self-serve capabilities in near real-time manner to all teams across the business.
- Striving for impact and delivery – You will have significant impact on how we leverage data to propel the business. Hence, you will partner up with other teams across the business to understand their data needs and work with them to find the best solution. You’ll also strive that your team is focusing on things with most impact and deliver them in a timely manner. Most of all, you are excited about Gousto’s mission and product and really enjoy working with the team.
- Obsessing over quality – As a data enthusiast you must have already heard a quote “garbage in, garbage out”. To ensure high-quality of data, guaranteeing accurate dashboards and robust machine-learning algorithms, we believe that every data-point needs to be valid. As a lead you should obsess over the quality assurance and continually improve data validation on a daily basis.
Who you are
- You have a BSc in Computer Science or similar
- You have an excellent understanding of modern data architecture and data modelling to maximise data usage across the business
- You have experience in building, running and leading high performing engineering teams
- You have a delivery mindset and experience working in a fast paced, high growth tech organisation following the principles of Agile and lean development
- You have extensive experience with programming languages (Python preferably) and writing efficient SQL queries
- You have great communication skills, whether to your team, to business stakeholders or to our leadership team
- You are a high-energy self-starter with a passion for data, attention to detail, and a positive attitude
Dream – Today’s good is tomorrow’s mediocre. We’re always looking for ways to improve Gousto, our team and ourselves.
Deliver – We understand where we can add the most value and obsess about making improvements every day.
Care – We can only achieve big things by working collaboratively. We respect different people’s skills, experience and points of view. We work as one team.
Equal opportunity is hugely important to us, across all areas of Gousto. Currently in our team there are over 20 nationalities and it’s deeply important to us to have all genders represented in all functions and levels. We treat all individuals in a fair and equal manner and in accordance with the law regardless of age, disability, gender, pregnancy and maternity, marital status, race, religion or sexual orientation.