Senior Copy Editor // Culture Trip
October 31, 2019
Culture Trip is a global hyper-growth startup operating in travel, media and entertainment. We create stories that reveal what is unique and special about a place, its people and its culture. In-house creative teams work with a global network of more than 300 freelance creators to produce articles, videos, photography, illustration and animation.
From just a dozen people in late 2016, the team has expanded to more than 250. This diverse group of software engineers, product designers, data scientists, editorial experts and content creators are spread across offices in London, New York City and Tel Aviv. Alumni of companies including Google, Facebook, Expedia, Lonely Planet, Spotify, Bloomberg, Viacom, TripAdvisor and the BBC have joined recently. A recent Series B funding injection from PPF Group of $80 million has further propelled rapid growth. Monthly unique visitors to the site have gone from 4 million to nearly 20 million, cross-platform social followers have increased from 1 million to 7 million, and app downloads have leapt from 50,000 to 2 million. Culture Trip videos have been viewed more than 2 billion times. Culture Trip, founded by Dr Kris Naudts, has been named by Forbes as one of the fastest-growing companies to watch.
Everyone working at Culture Trip is driven by a shared vision: to inspire people to go beyond their cultural boundaries and connect with the world around them. We want to bring the world to everyone and in doing so bring everyone closer together.
We are looking for a sharp-eyed, diligent senior copy editor to ensure our stories are factually watertight, intelligently structured and sensitively composed. You will oversee the production of supplementary editorial projects and supervise the quality of a range of content prior to publication, from in-depth features on international artists to listicles on the top restaurants in a focus region. You will guarantee that all published material meets Culture Trip standards, that impeccable editorial quality is maintained across the team, and that articles are optimised for search engines and social media.
- Edit and proofread the articles published on culturetrip.com, ensuring that they adhere to our house style and contain no grammatical, stylistic, syntactic or factual errors.
- Confidently work with content from across the following verticals: travel, food, fashion, art, design, film, books, music, architecture, tech and wellness.
- Monitor the quality of our copy editors’ work and offer regular editorial feedback.
- Assist in the recruitment, onboarding and training of new copy editors.
- Help refine a workflow strategy to optimise the copy-editing and proofreading process.
- Manage production of supplementary cross-functional projects.
- Maintain production and reporting tools.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- 5+ years of experience in media/publishing as a copy editor or senior copy editor.
- Exceptionally strong copy-editing skills with a sharp eye for typos, grammatical mistakes and stylistic inconsistencies.
- Excellent self-management and organisational skills are essential.
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team.
- Innate understanding of what makes a piece of content shine and how it can engage readers.
- Strong grasp of content that’s optimised for search engines and social media.
- Familiarity with WordPress and InDesign is highly desirable.
- Enthusiasm, adaptability and a high degree of integrity and personal responsibility.
- Ease working within a growing global company and liaising across different departments and time zones.
Culture Trip is committed to equality of opportunity for all. We strongly believe that diversity of backgrounds, ethnicities, experience, circumstances, abilities and perspectives leads to a better workplace for our employees and a better product for our users.
Visit the company websiteCulture Trip