Product Manager // Geckoboard
November 6, 2019
Geckoboard is a growing product company on a mission — we’re transforming the way businesses work by making their most important data visible, understandable, and inspiring for teams. Our product turns the complex challenge of building a data dashboard into something simple enough for a busy leader to get done themselves in an afternoon.
We see two main challenges for us: we want it to be easy as possible for our customers to get their data into Geckoboard, and we want our customers to create dashboards so good that people will think they’d been professionally designed. Our Product Managers are responsible for the quality of their team’s product area and each team member understands and cares deeply about the problems we’re solving. We’re here for the long haul to create a product our customers love and we can all be immensely proud of.
Joining us in our leafy East London office, you’ll be working in small cross-functional teams alongside software engineers, designers and testers, taking a lean approach to developing and iterating on features. You’ll work deeply in your product area but also hold a broad understanding of our wider product and company goals. Our cycles are 6 weeks, but we ship continuously within them – we’ve found this is long enough to deliver meaningful work but short enough to iterate and take feedback on board quickly. We encourage innovation and value different perspectives and as a result individuals on your team may change each cycle.
Our Product Managers:
- Deeply understand our customers: You’ll develop a deep understanding of the problems you’re working on, through research and regularly speaking with our customers. From the nuances of the customer journey, to the ins and outs of how Geckoboard works.
- Manage the roadmap: Working together with our VP of Product (Ben), you’ll scope out tasks and prioritise work so that your team is always delivering on the most impactful projects.
- Bring the team together: You will define and frame problems for your team, then collaborate with them to figure out the best solution.
- Keep everyone in the loop: From your team to the wider company, you’ll be sharing the “who, what, why and when” of product decisions and work with Marketing and Customer Success on how best to communicate what’s happening to our customers.
- Use data: You’ll gather and analyse data, both quantitative and qualitative, to ensure we’re making the best decisions about what we work on and whether or not our solutions help solve the problem, before and after release.
- Ship great product: You’ll work closely with the designers and software engineers on your team to create incredibly high quality, easy-to-use solutions that resolve customer struggles.
- Contribute to our product vision: Keeping the long-term interests and success of our customers at the forefront of your mind, paired with understanding our business strategy and the market, you’ll help guide the direction of Geckoboard.
Success in this role looks like:
- You own your product area: you’re comfortable defining and prioritising problems for your team to solve, and you know how to define the success criteria for the work you’re planning to do.
- You work collaboratively: with the developers and designers on your team, your manager (the VP of Product, Ben), and your teammates in Customer Success and Marketing.
- Your seen as a Product Expert: you can answer any question about the product (or go find out the answer and learn!).
- Your team think of you as their Customer Expert: You understand why people choose to buy Geckoboard, the situations they’re in when they go looking, the progress they’re hoping to make, how they evaluate our tool, and use it on an ongoing basis.
- You’re trusted: your team say that they trust your decisions and value the feedback you provide.
In your first 90 days you will have:
- Shipped multiple new features/updates to our customers.
- Established a regular cadence of customer/user contact.
- Settled into the team; you’re working collaboratively to define and scope future work.
You should apply if:
- You’re passionate about building products users love.
- You have experience working in a product management role as part of a product-oriented company.
- You measure the quality of your work by the impact it has for real users.
- You care about great usability and aesthetics.
- You’re intellectually curious, and can understand and explain how complex systems work.
- You ruthlessly slice work down into small, independently valuable pieces.
- You’re a clear and persuasive communicator; you know everybody won’t always agree with your decisions, but you can bring them along.
- You leave your ego at the door; you know that your way isn’t always the right path and seek our different perspectives.
- You are analytical and data-informed, but know that nothing beats speaking to customers to guide your decision making process.
- You’re excited by the work we’re doing at Geckoboard (tell us why in your application)!
Curious to learn more about what it’s like working with the team and what an average weeks looks like for a Product Manager at Geckoboard. Helena, one of our PM’s recently wrote a post about just that: https://medium.com/geckoboard-under-the-hood/a-week-with-our-product-manager-helena-3059e42e086c
At this time, we’re only considering candidates who are able to work from our London office primarily. We can also offer sponsorship to those who would like to join us in our London office, as well as some relocation assistance if you’re moving countries to be with us.
Our interview process consists of an initial call, take-home task and a half-day interview.
The Geckoboard Story
Thousands of businesses use Geckoboard to build live TV Dashboards that focus teams on what matters. We take the complexity out of connecting data and make it simple for anyone to understand key metrics at a glance. We have pre-built integrations with 60+ tools including Google Analytics, Salesforce, Zendesk, Intercom and MailChimp and our customers include the likes of Slack and Skyscanner, Marketo and Hootsuite, to Happy Socks and New Scientist.
Our growing team of 40+ is headquartered in London and span across eight time zones – from Mumbai to London, San Francisco to Hawaii and more. We’re always looking for people with diverse backgrounds who bring unique perspectives and skills to join our team and in return we constantly strive to ensure that we offer the most encouraging, inclusive, and efficient environment possible.
We don’t just pay lip service to work-life balance, we actively and strongly encourage it. Flexible working hours and the ability to regularly work from home lets you work in a way that fits you and your family. We see our contractual obligation to offer 25 days of paid holiday as a minimum for everyone in the organisation, not a limit.
We actively contribute to professional development, courses, conferences, and books. Our Engineering & Product team also have regular Innovation days, where everyone has complete freedom to work on anything that interests them, from contributing to open source, to learning a new skill, or improving our internal tools and processes.
And, don’t take our word for it, see what the team say about the projects they work on: https://medium.com/geckoboard-under-the-hood and their experience of working with us on Glassdoor: https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Reviews/Geckoboard-Reviews-E878996.htm. You can also read more about our values and benefits on our Careers page at https://www.geckoboard.com/careers/.
Visit the company websiteGeckoboard