Head of Illustration & Animation // Culture Trip
September 9, 2019
Culture Trip is a global hyper-growth startup operating in travel, media and entertainment. We create stories that reveal what is unique and special about a place, its people and its culture. In-house creative teams work with a global network of more than 300 freelance creators to produce articles, videos, photography, illustration and animation.
From just a dozen people in late 2016, the team has expanded to more than 250. This diverse group of software engineers, product designers, data scientists, editorial experts and content creators are spread across offices in London, New York City and Tel Aviv. Alumni of companies including Google, Facebook, Expedia, Lonely Planet, Spotify, Bloomberg, Viacom, TripAdvisor and the BBC have joined recently. A recent Series B funding injection from PPF Group of $80 million has further propelled rapid growth. Monthly unique visitors to the site have gone from 4 million to nearly 20 million, cross-platform social followers have increased from 1 million to 7 million, and app downloads have leapt from 50,000 to 2 million. Culture Trip videos have been viewed more than 2 billion times. Culture Trip, founded by Dr Kris Naudts, has been named by Forbes as one of the fastest-growing companies to watch.
Everyone working at Culture Trip is driven by a shared vision: to inspire people to go beyond their cultural boundaries and connect with the world around them. We want to bring the world to everyone and in doing so bring everyone closer together.
We are looking for a fantastic leader to join us as Executive Producer of our Illustration & Animation team. Based in our London office, you will manage our team of in-house illustrators and animators and our network of freelance illustrators around the world.
As Executive Producer of Illustration & Animation, you will develop and execute on a commissioning strategy for illustrated content, and manage a team of in-house illustration commissioners, illustrators and animators. As a self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit, you should have a desire to make a real impact on how millions of locals and visitors experience their cities. Your aim will be to help build up our resources of digital image assets for our content teams. You’ll be great at communicating and collaborating with the writers, Commissioning Editors, Video Commissioners, and Photo Commissioners in your content team. You should be a confident and extremely diligent person with the demonstrated ability to create and improve structures and processes. You should always operate with scale in mind, establishing robust yet flexible processes to maximise assets and ensure systems can grow quickly and under pressure. You must have a high degree of integrity and personal responsibility, and be an enthusiastic and collaborative team player.
We offer an independent and dynamic working environment with plenty of potential to make an impact, and the opportunity to develop exciting content in cooperation with the wider business.
- You will lead our in-house team of Editorial Illustrators, Animators, Art Directors and Producers.
- Manage the team, drive and maintain a high-performance, and a creative culture.
- Work with our Art Directors to follow the creative direction of our illustration / animation and ensure the content we create is on brand and visually appealing.
- Brainstorm ideas for illustration-led content and bring these to life to create the best, most on-brand creative possible.
- When required, you’ll need to recruit and hire for your team.
- Creatively apply a data-driven approach to develop a format-specific commissioning plan in line with our overall content strategy and execute accordingly.
- Working with the wider content team, identify existing articles that would benefit from original illustration and animation and strategically commission them to freelancers via your team.
- Collaborate with the leads of other formats and the regional teams across the other offices to ensure a consistent product from all teams.
- Participate in high-value editorial campaigns, generating ideas from your team and producing commissioned content via the hubs to carry and grow the Culture Trip brand.
- Drive editorial process, feeding back improvements and needs, driving new tools and ensuring they are implemented effectively.
- Where required, work to deliver commercial content, including branded content campaigns on behalf of clients. Attend pitch meetings and ‘sell in’ ideas to the client where required.
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- 5-7 years+ experience in producing illustration & animation for editorial
- You must be open to new ways of thinking and operating, always challenging yourself
- Managerial experience in a similar role in media and/or publishing
- A strong interest in Travel and Editorial
- Superb management, organisational and people skills are an absolute must
- Previous community and/or remote management experience
- Strong eye for compelling visuals and ideas for content across a selection of locations and interests
- Strong understanding of copyright, content licensing laws and IP rights associated with digital assets
- You should have a desire to optimise organisational processes and improve operations.
- Demonstrated experience of implementing editorial developments, and heading up major operational efforts
Culture Trip is committed to equality of opportunity for all. We strongly believe that diversity of backgrounds, ethnicities, experience, circumstances, abilities and perspectives leads to a better workplace for our employees and a better product for our users.
Visit the company websiteCulture Trip