Director of UX Research // Culture Trip
September 9, 2019
Culture Trip is a global hyper-growth startup operating in travel, media and entertainment. We create stories that reveal what is unique and special about a place, its people and its culture. In-house creative teams work with a global network of more than 300 freelance creators to produce articles, videos, photography, illustration and animation.
From just a dozen people in late 2016, the team has expanded to more than 250. This diverse group of software engineers, product designers, data scientists, editorial experts and content creators are spread across offices in London, New York City and Tel Aviv. Alumni of companies including Google, Facebook, Expedia, Lonely Planet, Spotify, Bloomberg, Viacom, TripAdvisor and the BBC have joined recently. A recent Series B funding injection from PPF Group of $80 million has further propelled rapid growth. Monthly unique visitors to the site have gone from 4 million to nearly 20 million, cross-platform social followers have increased from 1 million to 7 million, and app downloads have leapt from 50,000 to 2 million. Culture Trip videos have been viewed more than 2 billion times. Culture Trip, founded by Dr Kris Naudts, has been named by Forbes as one of the fastest-growing companies to watch.
Everyone working at Culture Trip is driven by a shared vision: to inspire people to go beyond their cultural boundaries and connect with the world around them. We want to bring the world to everyone and in doing so bring everyone closer together.
Culture Trip is looking for a Director of User Experience Research. This is a key role running and evangelising UX Research for the company. As part of our growing UX and Design team, you’ll manage a small group of UX researchers running both larger research pieces that affect both company and product direction, as well as smaller projects to help the designers explore and test their ideas. You’ll get a deep understanding of our users, their needs and become a voice for the user within the company. While the role is based in London, you’ll be working with team members in our other offices in Tel Aviv and New York. As Culture Trip is a global product, you’ll be conducting qualitative and quantitative research for our key markets around the world.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leading user research to help shape our understanding of our users, their needs, motivations and how they use our product.
- Proposing and managing a roadmap of strategic UX research work, both qualitative and quantitative, as well as smaller projects that support our UX Design, Product and Marketing teams OKRs.
- Evangelising user research practice and findings throughout the organisation.
- Summarising and presenting back findings to stakeholders in a clear and concise way.
- Working cross functionally between our Product, Product Marketing and Business Intelligence teams to help flesh out our understanding of our users and their behaviour
- Sourcing and proposing new tools for research that the UX and Design teams can use.
- Mentoring UX Designers to ensure they are up to date on the latest techniques and tools.
- Sourcing, negotiating and working with external agencies for larger research work.
- Connecting externally to conferences, meet-ups and the wider industry to promote Culture Trip and our UX research practice.
Knowledge and Experience Required:
- Extensive experience working in a UX Research role.
- Experience leading and managing a team.
- Extensive experience with a variety of qualitative and quantitative research practices and knowing when best to use them.
- Educational background in UX Research or HCI-related field. Or equivalent work experience.
- Experience working closely with UX and Design teams and a clear understanding of the role of research in the design process.
- Extensive experience working on a digital product, working closely with UX and Product teams preferred.
- Experience working across multi-disciplinary teams, coordinating with them to ensure their user research needs are met and propose areas they could research more.
- Experience working with external agencies.
- Experience working in a fast-paced startup environment ideal.
- Experience working with multi-location teams in other countries preferred.
- Experience with digital travel or media companies ideal.
Culture Trip is committed to equality of opportunity for all. We strongly believe that diversity of backgrounds, ethnicities, experience, circumstances, abilities and perspectives leads to a better workplace for our employees and a better product for our users.
Visit the company websiteCulture Trip