Director of Product Design // Intercom
Communication has changed for people. It’s changed for businesses, too.
Intercom is the only suite of customer messaging products that drives growth at every stage of the customer lifecycle—across acquisition, engagement, and support. Today more than 30,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide.
Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through live chat, and so much more.
What’s the opportunity? 🤔
You will lead a team of Product Designers and Design Managers, encompassing everything that gets designed in our London office.
You’ll be responsible for leading and growing the groups of teams in London, developing product strategy and vision, supporting your teams in delivering great design work, partnering with your peer Directors on site leadership in London, and helping to evolve our Product Design function. You’ll be supported every step of the way by peers and leaders who are invested in your growth and your happiness.
London is one of Intercom’s two R&D locations, along with Dublin. In London we build the core parts of Intercom’s Customer Support products—products that are used by tens of thousands of our customers to provide great support to millions of their customers. The product built in London includes a wide range of design challenges from productivity tools to bots to ML-driven innovations to consumer-facing products.
The Customer Support landscape is changing fast. We’re replacing legacy email ticketing systems with a modern, personal messaging platform that weaves in useful automation and that users love. This is an exciting opportunity to shape the future of one of the most critical and most used parts of our product, and the future of the entire customer support industry.
You will manage two Design Managers, each of whom in turn manage Product Designers who are embedded on cross-functional product teams. We believe in high-level strategic alignment and low-level team autonomy. You’ll report directly to our most senior Design leader, Emmet, and partner closely with our London Directors of Product and Engineering, Jane and Maria.
We genuinely care about people and value kindness in our everyday interactions. You’ll be able to be yourself, feel valued, supported, learn and grow no matter how experienced you are.
We’ve had designers in key leadership roles, including at the exec level, from the very beginning of the company. This has made design a core foundation of our success so far, and positions design to be a key driver of our success in the years to come. We are a successful, pre-IPO, healthy business, and we have ambitious plans for the coming years.
What will I be doing? 🚀
- Defining vision and strategy for products.
- Managing and scaling the London design team through multiple phases of growth. Building a world-class design team by hiring the best, managing performance, and mentoring your team.
- Managing managers, coaching and providing feedback on your team’s performance and ensuring they are delivering high-quality work that meets user and business needs.
- Defining career paths, helping people to identify opportunities for growth and define plans for achieving measurable goals.
- Collaborating closely with other Design leaders (across Product and Brand design in Dublin and San Francisco) to evolve the global Product Design function, our culture, structure, processes, and beliefs.
- Working with leaders of other functions (e.g. PM, Eng, Research, Analytics, Marketing, Sales) to ensure that teams are collaborating effectively to execute on company strategy.
- Joining our R&D Leadership team (led by Des Traynor, Paul Adams, and Darragh Curran) to evolve and improve how we ship product and lead teams.
- Acting as site leader for the London office in collaboration with Jane and Maria, working together to set a positive, fun culture and drive high levels of engagement in the team.
- Representing Intercom Product Design publicly in whatever form feels natural to you: writing, speaking, tweeting, community outreach, etc.
What skills do I need? 📖
- Experience leading a team of designers in a fast-growing environment, hiring, and managing performance.
- Experience working on a broad, modern product that has significant scale.
- Ability to motivate and inspire people to grow, learn, succeed, do their very best work.
- Ability to communicate (written and verbally) with precision, clarity, honesty, and respect.
- Understanding of how effective product strategy is shaped.
- Understanding of commercial dynamics and how design can help drive business success.
- Strong sense of product design, from high level strategic direction down to UI design details.
- Strong systems and conceptual thinker, ability to understand complex systems.
- A passion for building product. A growth mindset. Willingness to own problems. A desire to make things better. A sense of optimism.
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! 🙂
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve lunch every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews – we reward great work
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We’re committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.